First, Homa is the man. There isn't a workout out there that scares him. He wears a jersey documenting that he did "The Death Ride" (No thanks), does endurance events purely for fun rather than time, and does hill repeats up Nasty Grade at Wildflower (WTF?!) (This, of course, is after he actually gave his number to a female athlete at WF, while on the bike course, during the race.) Definitely a great training partner.
But he also admitted that he wanted to crush me with hills tonight.
So, the "workout" tonight was to meet at torrey pines, and then-
- Up the inside, head over to la jolla shores
- Down and then up Black's Beach access road, and head over to Mt Soledad
- Up Via Capri, turn around and go to the bottom
- Climb Via Capri, again
- Go down the other (PB) side
- Climb Pacifica - three times
- Climb Romney, and head down Pacifica
- Somehow get to the top of Mt Soledad (again)
- Head up La Jolla Shores
- 39 miles
- 3 hours 10 minutes
- 6200 ft of elevation gain - which, by the way, is right on par with the entire 112 miles of biking at lake placid
I also absolutely love climbing on my tri bike - significantly more than my road bike.
We didn't finish the ride until about 8:30pm, well after sunset, which was part of why it was so cool. I kinda felt like a little kid again during the summer - outside playing until I couldn't see anymore, on a tuesday night, just waiting to get home, eat a solid meal, and when I hit the pillow, let out one of those long sighs like I had a great day!